It is an excellent ingredient to have in your moisturizer, especially in the winter, because it creates a barrier on the skin’s surface that traps moisture in, softens the skin, and also helps push other active ingredients deeper into the skin.
It also has soothing and antibacterial properties, and helps strengthen and maintain the skin’s immune system.? This makes it a good ingredient to use on acne-prone skin, and other inflammatory conditions.? You can even apply it directly to minor cuts, scrapes, and burns as a soothing, healing, protective salve.
Honey can also be used as an exfoliating mask. It naturally contains several alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs), which gently dissolve and remove dead skin cells.? This is great for people whose skin is too sensitive or inflamed to exfoliate using a scrub.? Skin feels softer and smoother, and looks brighter and healthier.
Honey Facial Ritual
A couple of years ago, I met a nice massage therapist at a Reiki share I attended.? We became friendly, got to talking about skin care, and she mentioned that at massage therapy school she learned about using honey in a facial.? I went to her studio and we had a nice afternoon of honey facials.
All you need is somewhere to lie down flat, some relaxing music, warm towels or washclothes (a crockpot at a low setting can help keep them warm), a bottle of high quality honey (shop around…you can find some that have other healing herbs infused in them), and of course a partner.
Here’s what you do…
- Cleanse and tone the face
- Apply honey all over the face and neck, avoiding the eye area and mouth.
- Let the honey set for 5 to 10 minutes…until it firms up a little and feels tacky.
- Once the honey feels tacky, use your fingers to lightly tap all over the face, concentrating on any areas that are oily or have visibly enlarged or clogged pores.? The lifting of the honey will help draw out dirt and impurities.? Do this for 5 minutes.
- Place warm (not hot) towels or washclothes on the face for a few seconds to soften up the honey, and use them to remove all the honey.
- Once the honey is all off, tone the face and apply moisturizer.
You’re done!? Now go look in the mirror…how does your skin look?? Wash your hands and touch your face (never touch your face with unwashed hands)…how does it feel?
Now go sit down and relax with a nice cup of green or herbal tea…with a drop of honey, of course!
Want to learn more about using natural ingredients like honey for beautiful skin?
Check out my free online skincare class! Click HERE to get it.